Around Bristol Bay, the message is unmistakable. Everywhere I looked this summer, I saw boats flying “No Pebble” flags, and almost every truck had the same message stamped on its bumper.
We know that the overwhelming majority of Bristol Bay fishermen see Pebble as a clear and present danger. In fact, when I tell permit-holders that 85% of us oppose the mine, the response is usually, “Who the hell are the other 15%?”
So, as fishermen, we operate in an echo chamber of anti-Pebble sentiment, and we need to be careful that we don’t tune out what pro-Pebble advocates are arguing. In fact, we need to listen very carefully to what they’re saying.
After I got home this summer, I spent some time browsing blogs, reading fact sheets and listening to pro-Pebble ads. In a short series of posts here at Alaska Waypoints, I’m going to present some point/counterpoint on the Pebble situation.
POINT: Kennecott didn’t kill the Copper River, so that must mean Pebble won’t kill the Nushagak and the Kvichak
Read the rest of the Kennecott Counterpoint article here: Alaska Waypoints
Copper River & Kennecott Mine fact sheets: Pebble Science